Thursday 4 September 2014

What I look for in a good book

Whether you are in a book shop or library, it is always difficult to try out a new book at random. Eye catching covers can help, but sometimes the opening chapter gives me an idea about the content of the book. My personal preference when it comes to books is that I want to read a book that keeps me interested.

An example of this is the Hobbit by Tolkien. The novel is a narration of Bilbo's adventures with 13 dwarves and Gandalf. The way the world in the Hobbit is described made me keep reading. Moreover, Tolkien's individual writing style makes the story even more connecting. The Hobbit is written as fairy tale for children, one could imagine Tolkien telling this story to his children.

For me to become totally lost in a book, then I do often need to get to know the characters. This is where authors like Pratchett and Dickens excel. For example, Pratchett clearly describes Vimes' habits and ways of thinking, which enables the reader to understand the political satire which ensues whenever Vimes has an interview with the Patrician, Lord Vetinari.

To sum up, a good book for me is a book with an interesting plot and characters which you get to know well. Though be warned George R. R. Martin may kill the characters you full in love in, if you enjoy reading the Song of Ice and Fire series.

No comments:

Post a Comment