Sunday 14 September 2014

Geek/Nerd Culture

I myself consider myself somewhere between being a geek and a nerd. I am obsessed with reading books, especially Sci fi and Fantasy. In terms of video games I really like Pokémon; I cannot wait for November for the new games. Lord of the Rings is my favourite book and film trilogy. I admire the amount of detail and work Tolkien put in to create Middle Earth.

In the 21st century geek/nerd culture has become a little more mainstream. More people are proud to proclaim their geekhood and now laugh in the face of ridicule. Most elements of being a geek are no longer looked down upon, though I do think that more people need convincing that reading is cool as well. Science fiction and fantasy novels, along with comic books and manga, are in my opinion are awesome and show that you are a true geek/nerd. I was a major Harry Potter geek, (I still am), which included reading the books, watching the films and owning some Harry Potter merchandise.

There is an old saying that geeks would one day inherit the earth. In a way they already have. Modern life is dominated by technology, the most popular films at the moment are sci-fi, fantasy or based off comic books and video games have become more universally popular. My only problem is people who pretend to be geeks to appear cool. I consider myself mostly a book geek, though I have other geeky passions, like playing pokemon. Though it is difficult to pretend to be a geek because geek culture is so diverse. There are book geeks, comic book geeks, video game geeks, technology geeks, tabletop gaming geeks, film geeks and many more. The diversity in geek/nerd culture is what makes it so great, lots of people being proud of having obsessions and intellectual interests.

My book recommendation if you consider yourself a bit of a geek/nerd is Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, though Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is also awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment