Tuesday 1 July 2014

Harry Potter and Me

I am having a good week helping to create a outdoor reading space at a primary school. Makes me more proud and passionate about my favourite hobby, reading. Today I have decided to discuss the impact that the Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling, has had on my life.

Before reading Harry Potter I was a casual reader, with an imagination in need of being exercised. A friend recommended the Harry Potter series to me, so I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in one week. The result was dazzling, I fell in love with the characters immediately and often fantasized about receiving my Hogwarts letter. For the first time a book was able to draw my mind completely out of the real world and into a fantasy world dominated by magic, trolls, goblins and many other fantastical creatures. Every time the I received the latest Harry Potter book it was like Christmas come early. My passion for books was unlocked.

My favourite character is Luna Lovegood, because she is different and she does not fear judgement. Moreover, Luna's philosophy is based off faith, which is still relevant today despite Science trying, unsuccessfully, to disprove all religions and supernatural events. Luna was introduced, in my opinion, as a perfect companion to go alongside Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Neville.

My teenage years were very stressful, dominated by anxiety. When I needed to get away everything I could escape to Hogwarts and in my mind recreate the story of Harry Potter as I was reading. In the age where many choose to use video games as a form of escape it is a great achievement that J.K. Rowling managed to encourage a new generation of passionate readers, we all say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment