Wednesday 22 October 2014

The Reason I Read Fantasy and Science Fiction

My favourite book genres are fantasy and science fiction; they are the book genres I read the most. I have recently got into reading books by Neil Gaiman, which have shown me how diverse the fantasy genre is. I read fantasy because I hope to lose myself in a fantasy world in hope that I will change my way of perceiving the world. For example, Harry Potter teaches the importance of friendship and the Lord of the Rings is a tale about war and fighting temptation for absolute power.

Getting oneself lost in the worlds created by fantasy authors enables me to leave this world and be transported to another. Getting lost in a good book is a unique experience itself, but getting lost in a fantasy world really helps to stretch the imagination. When one reads A Game of Thrones or Neverwhere, one gets transported into a completely different world. I could image the meetings at Kings Landing in A Game of Thrones and became engaged with the political games being played by Tyrion, Varys and Littlefinger.

One could also argue that fantasy books allows one to wonder into the minds of the authors. At times it feels that the author is speaking directly to you as the reader, and telling the story to you. Moreover, fantasy is more than magic and dragons, it is about the adventure, the use of myth and folklore, characters and world building.

To summarise, I read fantasy to escape the confines of reality, to relax my mind and to open my mind further to new ways of thinking. Also, I read fantasy for the epic story and amazing characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment