Wednesday 27 August 2014

Re-discovering Your Love of Books

Many people who enjoy reading books may sometimes find themselves in a reading slump. Quite often the reading slump is caused by struggling to get into a book or having a frantic busy period where it seems difficult to find time to read. I hope that these tips will help those who want to become more frequent readers.

  1. Read something light to get back in the habit. Many times I have turned to children's books to get back in the habit of reading. Harry Potter or the Hobbit are my most frequent books I turn to to; when one is fulling out of love with reading. 
  2. Read something funny. Choosing to read a book that is funny can make oneself feel more positive and may promote a love for books. The best bit about reading for pleasure is that you can read anything you want. Good writing is subjective so do not feel ashamed to read a book which may seem childish or silly, because no one should judge you. One of my favourite authors is Terry Pratchett, a writer of satirical fantasy. The basic idea is try to make reading fun to start with before tackling a more serious read.
  3. Read when you can. Even if you only can read in twenty minute bursts, it still is time well spent reading. On other days you may have a spare hour to read and on other days you may only find ten minutes. However, to keep the habit going it is worth trying to read a little every day. My advice also is that if you are not enjoying a specific book, then stop and read another book which you will enjoy and read the abandoned read another time. The first time I tried to read the Lord of the Rings I could not get into it, but on my second attempt after reading other books, I found myself addicted to the book.
  4. Expand your reading tastes. For example, if you are growing tired of fantasy novels then try darker fantasy or horror. Reading more genres enables you to discover new authors which will hopefully promote a greater love for books. I used to read mostly fantasy, but now will read books like Dracula and World War Z, which I loved. Treat books like films, read action packed books as well as more methodical emotional reads like Frankenstein. Some books like the Hunger Games, are both emotional and action packed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment